Our philosophy starts with the simple belief that kids are capable of incredible things. Our job is to nurture that ability; our goal is to support kids' healthy development. Play is how kids learn--here, it is in both a STEM-rich environment and inviting outdoor experience.
Visit » Calendar » A Series of Simple Machines: a da Vinci-inspired Workshop Series for ages 9-12
Join us in the Discovery Museum’s da Vinci Workshop for an exciting program series based on simple machines. Leonardo da Vinci—scientist, artist, and inventor—envisioned numerous mechanical inventions, many of which contained “simple machines.” We’ll explore some of da Vinci’s creations while engaging in simple design challenges and building contraptions of our own.
During each of four sessions, we’ll investigate simple machines such as the wheel and axle, ramp, pulley, and lever, and explore ways of using each to do work. Just like da Vinci, we’ll discover how simple machines can be combined into different complex machines with their own unique purposes.
- This program is for students 9-12 years of age, and limited to 12 students total. Each session will be different and students should plan to attend all four sessions.
- Cost is $40/student and includes all four sessions. Payment must be received in advance in order to reserve your student's spot. Subsidies are available, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request financial support.
- All students must wear masks and maintain 6’ physical distance from others, in keeping with the Museum’s COVID safety protocols.
- Sessions occur while the museum is closed. This is a "drop-off" program. No adults or unregistered siblings may attend or be in the museum during the session.
- Please do not drop students off early. If you wish to visit the museum before the program, separate reservations must be made for that time block through our website, museum admission will apply, and students must be accompanied by an adult until the program begins.
- A Liability Waiver form will be emailed after registration, and must be returned with your student at the first session in order to participate.