Job Title: Explorer
Reports to: Director of Visitor Services
Schedule: 10-26 hours per week; must include some weekend and evening availability
Classification: Part-time employee, hourly, non-exempt
Compensation:$15 per hour
Make a visit to the Discovery Museum memorable and fun! Explorers engage visitors of all ages with our hands-on exhibits and dynamic programs. Help to maintain a friendly, safe, and clean museum building and outdoor playscape. Take initiative to identify and exceed visitor expectations. We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who have excellent communication skills, exceptional customer service skills, and the ability to work with young children and adults in a fast-paced environment. Explorers embrace learning, play, curiosity, and problem-solving while helping all visitors feel welcome and that they belong.
- Provide fun and educational engagement opportunities to visitors of a variety of ages and learning styles
- Engage with visitors in small and large groups; effectively communicate with visitors as well as teammates
- Provide timely and accurate information about Discovery Museum’s history, exhibits, programs, membership, wayfinding, etc.
- Assist in opening and closing Museum exhibits and campus
- Maintain our superior visitor experience by resetting exhibits and caring for Museum spaces
- Support all safety practices including but not limited to responding to accidents or injuries, separated group members, lost items, and broken exhibits or equipment
- Assist in daily cleaning and disinfecting procedures
- Follow written instructions accurately and independently
- Maintain an approachable demeanor and positive attitude
- Remain levelheaded in a busy and energetic environment
- Participate in periodic group trainings, learning opportunities, and meetings
- Represent the Museum at off-site community events such as fairs and festivals by facilitating a suite of hands-on activities (seasonal, occasional)
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor
Qualifications and Requirements
All positions at Discovery Museum require a satisfactory Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) background check before beginning employment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Must be able to stand for four hours at a time both indoors and outdoors, and be comfortable stooping, kneeling, and crouching
- Must be able to occasionally ascend/descend stairs and lift up to 25 pounds
- Frequent movement throughout and across the Discovery Museum campus is required, including during inclement or extreme weather and over uneven terrain
- Work environment often has moderate to loud noise for sustained periods of time
In addition to a creative, fun, and flexible work environment, Discovery Museum offers the following benefits with this position:
- Voluntary 403(b) retirement plan
- Earned sick time and paid family and medical leave eligibility
- Discovery Museum membership and discounts
- Free or discounted admission to more than 1,000 museums and cultural institutions and a variety of discounts on museum programs, memberships, and museum store items.
Discovery Museum is a hands-on museum with a mission to spark delight in learning by igniting curiosity and creativity in children and adults, as they discover together the joys of science, nature, and play. As an organization, we strive to broadly reflect the communities we wish to serve, both in visitors to our campus and our own staff, volunteers, and board members. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and are committed to providing a welcoming and inclusive space for all. We believe that a diversity of thoughts, experiences, backgrounds, personalities, and identities helps us think bigger and better, and enables us to reach our goals more effectively. We are committed to building a diverse staff and encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
Interested candidates please send a cover letter and resume to Kiersten Dittrich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing an application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment requirements, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please likewise direct your inquiries to Kiersten Dittrich at email@example.com.
We respectfully request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.