Science & Engineering Communication Fellowships
At Discovery Museum, we’re dedicated to bringing scientists, engineers, and other professionals together with members of the public for interactive science, technology, engineering, and math programs. Our Science & Engineering Communication Fellowship program trains local scientists and engineers to effectively communicate to the public about their work and research. Offered in partnership with the national organization Portal to the Public, the fellowship is an ideal way to share your field of interest with the community.
Become a Science & Engineering Communication Fellow
- Participate in two 5-hour professional development workshops to learn effective communication strategies for public outreach and to develop a fun, engaging activity that helps non-scientists understand your work.
- Consult with Museum education professionals as you develop and test your activity and resources.
- Share your hands-on activity and interests with children and families at a free Meet the Scientists & Engineers event at the Museum!
- Receive certification as a Science & Engineering Communication Fellow and letters of support for grants and professional outreach
- Receive a free Museum membership and invitations to special events
- Join a national network of science and museum professionals committed to furthering the community’s understanding and appreciation of science, technology, engineering and math
Now recruiting for Fall 2022
Professional development sessions with Museum educators will prepare Fellows to create and present a hands-on activity to visitors on a free-admission Friday night.
Fall 2022 cohort schedule:
- Saturday, October 22 and Saturday, November 5, 10:00am to 3:00pm: attend professional development workshops on-site at Discovery Museum
- Next four to five weeks, November through early December: Consult with education professionals to develop a hands-on activity related to your work, and test your hands-on prototype with Discovery Museum educators
- Friday, December 2, 5:00pm to 8:00pm: meet with the public and share your research and hands-on activity at our Meet the Scientists & Engineers event, held during a Free Friday Night! (You will be with visitors 5:30 to 7:30pm, with 30 minutes for setup and breakdown before and after).
Meet our previous Fellows
"10% of practicing engineers are women and I want to motivate young women to get involved in Engineering."
"It's exciting to see kids enjoying math!"
"It was great to get to know other science professionals interested in sharing their work with non-experts."
"The program was terrific for me, because I am interested in community engagement in STEM."
"It reminds me why I entered the field of neuroscience in the first place."
Scientists and engineers from academia and the corporate world have introduced our visitors to their work in heavy metals, brain research, algorithms, beneficial bacteria, DNA extraction, forensics, the physics of spin, and more at our public Meet the Scientists & Engineers events. Learn more about our previous Fellows and their work.
About the Program
Watch this short video to hear from previous Fellows about their experience with the program. Click here to view a PDF transcript of this video.